Baul’s On A Roll
It’s been a busy week for our junior drivers, and today was no exception with Round 5 of the Cadet Summer Championships. One round to go, and you’d be hard pressed to pick a clear favorite for 2015, with the top 5 in the overall standings separated by only 7 points on dropped scores. Next month’s finale leaves the championship up for grabs for a number of worthy racers.
Ideal temperatures and a great warm up session in this morning’s Race Clubs translated into some outstanding performances on the circuit, but it was Harvey Baul who pipped the competition to the finish line across 4 hard-fought heats to take the win, still buoyant from his first trial at Whilton Mill with the Formula Fast Race Team earlier this week.
- Second place went to Dylan Norris, who also took his personal best – a 34.373 – on the way to his first time on the podium after a busy week with his brother in Race School.
- Third place was claimed by Alfie Baxter-Davies, who managed to squeeze this round in between a busy racing schedule in the IAME Cadet class, having graduated himself from the Formula Fast Race Team last year.
- Drawing on points with third place, but missing out on a podium finish by by 6 tenths of a second, championship leader Joe Llewellyn put in a monumental effort to top up his points haul with a fourth place finish, despite only arriving back in the UK from holiday at 3am this morning.
- Also scoring highly was Mattie Amphlett with an impressive win in his opening heat, and a second place in his final heat, losing out to fourth position by only 3 tenths of a second to finish fifth overall.
- Sixth placed Dalton Norris has had an action-packed week in Race School, and despite a tricky couple of heats also managed a personal best laptime of 34.404 with some excellent driving.
- Last but not least, Akram Shoebridge displayed some fine driving today, leading two heats before some bad luck and a tangle in his final heat robbed him of another good points finish, leaving him our 7th placed driver after a spectacular start-line spin.
Championship Standings after Round 5
The final round of the Cadet Championship takes place on Sunday 27th September, with the usual Race Clubs sessions taking place beforehand at a slightly earlier time of 10.30am.